Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Family, Food, and Football, Oh My!

This past weekend Kyle and I went to Winston-Salem to join my parents and Lauren and Brad to share an early "Thanksgiving" meal together as Lauren and Brad will be with Brad's family on the actual day.  One thing you should know about my dad is he always does dinner right!  Growing up on the nights dad was in charge of the meal I knew I was in for a treat. He most definitely never held back.  Think homemade mashed potatoes, steak on the grill, bread rolls, green beans... and this dinner was no different! My dad came with fresh seafood from the coast including shrimp and cocktail sauce to start, then clams dipped in butter and fresh crabs for the main course! It was delicious! We had a great time visiting together, catching up and watching Lucy (Lauren and Brad's dog) attempt to attack the live and pinching crabs! Brad's dad, John, joined us for dinner and we enjoyed his company too!

On Sunday before heading to Charlotte for the Panthers vs. Ravens game we had a breakfast caserole cooked with deer sausage from a deer Brad had hunted.  I do not recall having deer prior to this and I was surprised to find it quite tasty!  Then there was much scrambling about as everyone got ready and then the girls left in one car, the guys in the other and each car with its own walkie talkie (thanks dad!).  We took the metro into downtown Charlotte which was fun! I felt like I was in DC or NYC (those are the only other places I have ever been on a metro). Metros are so fun (esp. if you have to stand)! It's something about being with a bunch of other people who are going somewhere...everyone gets there at the same time so it eliminates road ragers...getting to look outside...or strike up conversations with those around you...who knows what exactly it is, but it's great! It was a beautiful fall day with lots of sunshine and warmth. We had fun at the game cheering on the panthers (at least Kyle, mom and dad and I), who at one point were not far behind the ravens, but ultimately the ravens won to Lauren and Brad's delight! I am thankful for a great weekend, not everyday do you get to eat a bunch of amazing seafood or watch an nfl game in person!!

No comments:

Post a Comment