Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Excited for November

-Katelyn

It's only the fourth day of the month and November has already shown itself as an eventful month with purposes orchestrated by God alone.  Yesterday I started a new job tutoring in a local elementary school working with four students on their math skills.  Anxiety plagued me as I drove to the school unsure about what to expect teaching second and third graders.  God's peace comforted me as I spoke to Him for the twenty minute drive. I was delighted to meet Paige, the other tutor from Sylvan who seemed much more aware of what was going on (she tutored last year).  With all my minor mistakes and not being the most prepared (only because I didn't know how to better prepare) I survived the first day and feel confident that I will continually do better with each week.  I have a desire to not only help these kids in math but to build their confidence, love on them, encourage them to love one another, encourage them in their lives, and hopefully at the same time break through and improve their understanding of some math concepts.  I trust that the good Lord will help me and His love will make these things possible.  After meeting the children and their parents and seeing their struggles, it is evident that they have a need and a desire to be loved unconditionally. I pray I reflect Jesus in all my time with them.

Upon leaving the bank yesterday I found myself speaking Spanish with Elisio, a man who was leaving the bank at the same time.  Elisio explained how he lives in Burlington away from his family who remains in Mexico where he is from.  Elisio thought I was Latino and was surprised to learn I, along with my parents, are American (and that my ancestors were in fact German and not Spanish).  Kyle joined us and Elisio shared about his life in Mexico and his life here and we shared about our life on the farm.  We could tell Elisio was refreshed to be talking to someone other than his coworkers or roommate and still in a language he could understand.  He was curious to know if we liked Mexican food and we were sure to express the great joy it is in our lives!  Elisio invited us to have lunch with him and we exchanged phone numbers and planned to get together next week, possibly at the Italian restaurant where he works.  Kyle and I are excited to get to know this man, share life with him and see what the good Lord has in store. I am in awe of God's soverginty and His power over all things.  If we just live our lives walking with Him, looking to Him first, He takes care of everything else. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment