Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Why I Love Going to Birth Class

1.  The Birth Instructor's house where we meet is awesome and they keep the air turned down real low.
2.  There is a black lab named Jackson that greets us every time we arrive.  He is really sweet and I love black labs.
3.  It's the one time in my week I get to be with three other pregnant women and their husbands and talk about babies and being pregnant for 2+ hours, which rocks.
4.  We get free, yummy, healthy snacks to eat the whole time.
5.  We get to learn about what happens during labor and I am fascinated by the whole process.
6.  We get to practice for labor which is really fun and involves me lying in a relaxation position on the floor with some pillows with my eyes clothes, jaw relaxed, allowing drool to fall where it may, listening to the ocean crash on the shore (on cd), Kyle "timing" our fake contraction of 60 seconds, while sweetly rubbing my back, talking about a scene at Topsail Beach to allow me to visually relax, and simulating a contraction by squeezing my bicep-I love it! What's not to love?!
7.  I love that for two hours all the attention and focus is on the babe and the only time my instructor, classmates or myself get off topic is when we are talking about other babies and pregnancies and deliveries which is still totally on topic!
8.  All the prego women and their husbands tailor sit the whole time which is a great position that helps prepare the body for labor (it's basically the classic "Indian style" with a purpose).
9.  Our instructor, Christina, has a ton of books on pregnancy, labor and birth, breastfeeding, and babies that we can borrow for free. I love books! And not having to pay for them!
10.  We get to watch movies about labor/birth that give me an idea of what is to come and show me that other women have gone through the same thing, naturally, coping with the pain using the same techniques we're learning, and in the end held their sweet baby in their arms. The movies get me pumped up.
11.  It is the one guaranteed time in the week that Kyle and I are completely free from distractions and are focusing on learning, preparing and practicing for the birth of child. 
12.  Jackson, the black lab, once again sends us off for the week with a sweet look, shake of the head, wag of the tail and invites us to pet him goodbye. 


No comments:

Post a Comment