Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bon Appetit!


Sweet Potato Chili at its finest


Real Simple magazine is awesome.  Beautiful pictures, ideas, and recipes.  In January 2011 issue there are six "Comfort in a Bowl" recipes perfect for these cold winter days.  I have now made the "Slow-cooker Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potatoes" twice, which has been perfect because of the great sweet potato crop from the farm (which happens to be stored in our basement) and the many cans of kidney beans and black beans in the cupboard.  The special ingredient to this chili is the unsweetened cocoa powder! It is delicious! I accidentally added a wee too much cinnamon this last time I made it, Kyle didn't notice one bit. Another recipe success was the "Colombian Chicken and Potato Soup".  I used the meat and broth from a farm stewing hen that I boiled for an entire afternoon then some russet potatoes, corn, lime juice, cilantro and avocado to top it all off! If you happen to have the January issue I definitely recommend these two dishes. 

Another recommendation, even though I have only read the first fifty out of three hundred pages, is "My Life in France" by Julia Child.  I enjoyed the movie "Julie and Julia" and I wanted more from the "Julia" and well, her life in France so I checked out the book the last time I was in the library.  I am loving reading about France and the delicious food, culture and beauty there.  I have never been to France or tried learning to speak any French, but I am finding myself wanting to learn and wanting to go! Bonjour!

No comments:

Post a Comment